Tuesday 29 July 2014

Travelling to New York - i did it my way..

Hello all,


Unlike any other affairs, my love story with New York didn`t start with a love at first sight feeling..maybe it was the jet lag, maybe the “wow..everything is so big” factor, I have no idea, but I was not impressed.
Common Loredana… you are in NY, the city on your “must do in a life time” list and you are not impressed? OK breathe, relax, sleep and eat and then let the journey start. And oh boy..what a journey it was…
A short 4 days journey, but intensive, full of flavors, feelings, images, people and tourists..yes..tourists are a special kind of people and  they must be put in a special category.

1st Tip: if you want to be the normal tourists in NY, please go ahead, then add to your list: Times Square, Rockefeller center, Statue of Liberty,  museums, shops, speaking loud, taking millions of photos and shopping again, photos, Times square, Broadway, etc..
Comment: it is nothing wrong with this, it is your choice and it is an OK one. But not my style though.


I`m going to tell you a story on how I did it my way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voiSiT8yEoA

Housekeeping episode or “Karma is not always a bitch”:
Part A: flight tickets- here it was pure luck, or karma, or destiny ..or just www.holidaypirates.com . an amazing price for an amazing trip..totally recommend watching these guys.
Part B: sleeping under a roof- well, I wanted Manhattan and I was on a budget (imagine that..how can you be on a budget trip in NY??) but mainly I was sick of hotels and wanted a more local feeling: and I had just that through www.Airbnb.com (they have apartments and houses for all budgets and you can totally trust them). If you do not know Airbnb , then just Google them. My host was a super girl called Leo with a more super dog called Tuppy (https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1293592). Totally recommend Airbnb, if you are more poshy..then you can rent an entire apartment or even a house..depending on the budget baby :)

Culinary critique episode or “I`m in heaven..please let me stay here forever”:
Well, let me first ask you something: are you a vegan, meat lover, on a diet, craving for organic, loving Asian gastronomy, or maybe Italian? Do you want just a beer or maybe want to sit for a glass of wine? Or are you a sweet lover (nooo..don`t get me wrong..not a sweet lover but loving sweets..:) )? Or maybe you want just a bagel???
The answer is: we have them, we (meaning NY) have everything that you might dream of and beyond..we even have an entire neighborhood where the main focus is food: Hell`s Kitchen , but baby..we have everything: hotdogs, ice-cream, food-trucks and food markets and cheap ones and expensive ones …you just name it.
Personal tip: avoid Starbucks and go for local coffee shops. Try the ice-cream in Chinatown ( another tip: "The Original Chinatown ice-cream Factory" (65 Bayard street)- a little bit hard to find but it is totally worth it)) and please go to a week-end market fair (I would suggest the Brooklyn one) but it is totally up to you. And make sure you are stepping into the Chelsea Market- although not big I have eaten there one of the best brownies ever!
And also you can go to the Whole foods supermarket where you can find lots of local stuffs.
And then try the bagel experience- the most recommended one is called the Black Seed Bagels (apparently it is really trendy now).
And then try a cocktail in the afternoon, and a hotdog and ..oh yes, I can speak about food for a long time.



Shopping episode or “spend baby spend all that you have” episode:
Do you remember this part from Jerry Maguire? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaiSHcHM0PA )—Show me the moneyyyyyyyy!!! Well this is what New York will tell you every second and every day. Do you want Macy`s, or maybe Luis Vuitton? Do you want a Rolex or maybe just a hippie hand-made scarf? New York can give you this. It is up to you and your wallet or what the bank imposed as a limit for your card. Basically you can find anything depending on where your feet are going.  Tip: try to come with an empty luggage, trust me on this one.


Sightseeing episode or “ photos..photos..photos..breathe.. photos..photos” episode:
Here it is totally up to you, you time, your feet and what you want. What I wanted at the beginning it is totally different with what I got in the end and I have no regrets. Meaning that I had a plan, a list and timing with what to see..everything scheduled like in the army.
The reality is that I didn`t give a ….bip on my plan and i just went on the streets and i kept walking and walking and more walking. At least 12 hours per day.
Tip: if you have more time and not 4 days please do not do that otherwise on day 4 you will be laying down on your bed with feet up in the air wondering why did you do that. (I cannot confirm or deny this was my case) :)
What were my favorites?
High line (especially in the morning when there aren`t so many people. Check its opening hours at http://www.thehighline.org/ )- it is free of charge and it is something unique and beautiful.
Brooklyn Bridge and Brooklyn park near the bridge and a walk on the bridge, slow, on your own rhythm, admiring the view. Free of charge but quite busy. However you can find some good restaurants at the end of the bridge in Brooklyn.
Central Park and Grand Central Terminal- the first one because you feel like in the movies, you can have a romantic stroll or maybe just a stroll with your kids and dogs (that cannot be that romantic, no??). Or you can jog.. (but why would you run after you have walked for 12 hours???:) The other because it is one of the most beautiful building I saw in New York. That`s it.
And then you have China town, and Little Italy where you feel like you have entered 2 different countries and not actually be in USA. And then you have Noho, or Flatiron Building, or Empire State Building , or Top of the Rock, or a cruise to the Statue of Liberty (which you can see for free if you take the free of charge ferry to Staten island, and you have MOMA and Metropolitan Museum of Art and Guggenheim museum, and Wall Street and Broadway, and Ground Zero (but please remember the importance of this place and do not treat it so touristic) and so many more.
And yes, you have graffiti and you have sky-scrappers .
Oh, yes: and you have Times Square, but it is OK if you do not have it, you will not miss so much. But this is just me.




No matter how you have it or no matter how NY has you, just enjoy this experience and do it you way!

No comments:

Post a Comment